Welcome to the Peachtree Literature Circle Website
A literature circle is a creative way to spark students' interest in literature. Because every student and every classroom are unique, it's easy to surmise that no two literature circles could ever be the same. Teachers and students alike tend to love them, simply because there's no right or wrong way to conduct a literature circle. Planned to appeal to the students making up the group, literature circles can focus on virtually any aspect of a genre of books or a specific book or author. Literature circles can be an ideal learning vehicle, not only for reading and language arts subjects but also for history and science. The Peachtree Literature Circles are offered as after-school extra-curricular activities for all students. These circles are divided by grade for 6th and 7th graders, 8th and 9th graders, 10th and 11th graders, and 12th graders.
The Peachtree Literature Circles have been a fixture of our school for several years, and they maintain strong popularity among students of all ages. Librarian Helene Ledger and American Literature teacher Geoffrey Bell were the driving forces behind the creation of literature circles at Peachtree. These faculty members worked tirelessly to plan and develop the groups to make them a reality. The faculty advisers assigned to the literature circles are huge fans of the groups as well, believing strongly in the benefits derived by the students who attend them.
The Peachtree Literature Circles meet at 3:30 pm in the high school library on their designated day. Literature circles last for one hour.
6th and 7th Grade Literature Circle: Mondays at 3:30 pm
- Faculty Advisers: Mrs. Andrea Lankin (ELA 6th and 7th Grade) and Mrs. Holly Spears (middle school librarian)
- Current book being discussed: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
8th and 9th Grade Literature Circle: Tuesdays at 3:30 pm
- Faculty Advisers: Mrs. Helene Ledger (high school librarian) and Mr. Keith Kinsey (ELA 8th grade)
- Current book being discussed: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
10th and 11th Grade Literature Circle: Wednesdays at 3:30 pm
- Faculty Advisers: Mr. Michael Geoffrey (American Literature 12th Grade) and Mrs. Laura Hoy (high school assistant librarian)
- Current book being discussed: The Princess Bride by William Goldman
12th Grade Literature Circle: Thursdays at 3:30 pm
- Faculty Advisers: Mrs. Iris Babin (high school assistant librarian) and Mr. Todd Pack (English 12th grade)
- Current book being discussed: The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt